Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Informationist:Add a Little Thrill to Your Kindle

Here is an update on The Informationist by Taylor Stevens, a thriller released this week with big hopes. Does it deliver?
I was really looking forward to reading this book. I like a little thrill added to my reading list and this looked like just the thing. Advance reviews were positive so I downloaded the novel on my Kindle the day it was released.
The Informationist tells the story of Vanessa Michael Munroe. She is the daughter of missionary parents and has a dark and violent past - she escaped from Cameroon with blood on her hands when she was fairly young.
After leaving Cameroon, Munroe bases herself in Texas and becomes an informationist; she finds info for companies and individuals who do not want to go through official channels. She is good at what she does and has developed a network of 'friends' who services she can call on when needed.
In this novel Munroe is hired to find the missing and presumed dead daughter of rich Texas oilman Richard Burbank. The daughter, Emily, was last seen in the area of Central Africa - or was she?
The book will keep you reading with non-stop action. On that note I was pleased. I also enjoyed the fact that it offered some new plot twists. Munroe was not your run of the mill heroine nor was she 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest'. (Great book but we don't need a carbon copy).
I was very frustrated by the 3rd or 4th chapter because I had no clue about the characters. What do they look like, how do they move, how do they sound? Character development was pretty much a wash and never improved throughout the book.
However, while this would normally have been enough to make me put the book down by chapter 4 I was enjoying the story line enough to keep going. I invented my characters with the little info I had. (I became my own informationist which might have been the author's original intent).
The ending of the book looks like we will be getting a sequel. I think that is good news and I look forward to seeing more of Vanessa Michael Munroe and her cast of misfits. I hope Stevens can keep the story lines fresh and original and give us a little more character development with round two.
Get The Informationist on your Kindle today!

No comments:

Post a Comment