Thursday, December 8, 2011

New Fiction For Kindle Week December 6 Hardback and more


                                       Snow flocking a beautiful old magnolia tree. 7 December 2011

What a crazy couple of weeks for weather we have had. Yesterday was yet another lovely, I mean absolutely gorgeous, early snow for us here on the mountain. As many of you know, I missed the snow that made this mountain look like a wonderland for over 20 years following my military (Navy) husband around the globe. This is my second winter to be back after his retirement and I am enjoying every minute. Curled up in my fave chair reading by fire and watching the snow fall. Playing with the dog in the snow. The joy on the faces of my children... endless things to be thankful for.

Publishers seem to be hard at work pushing out books for the holidays - both fiction and non-fiction. We always seem to focus on fiction on this blog but look for an upcoming post on a few amazing non--fiction books I have read recently that would make great gifts, especially if you are looking for a gift for mom  or a special aunt or another great woman in your life. For example, Moonlight on Linoleum by Terry Helwig is a book I am giving my mom, two aunts, my mom-in-law, my sis-in-law, and any other special women I can think of. I have another book treat I am giving some of my kids' teachers. But these books are not just something you want to give - you have to download them to your kindle or buy them and read them too, they are life-changing books and just very darn good. So keep your eye out for the post...it will be up soon.

For this weeks sample of fiction lots of Scarpetta fans are happy for the latest instalment - Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell. She had some hit and miss Scarpetta books and some fans slipped away but I think everyone will be loving this latest entry into the Kay Scarpetta 'tome'...it has everything we want from her and she is definitely back on her game. In this outing (sorry for the cliche) Kay ends up in Georgia as she searches for the killer of her former deputy chief, Jack Fielding. She goes inside the Georgia Prison for Women and meets an inmate with info on Fielding and other horrible crimes that seem unrelated until they meet the pen of Cornwell.

I don't know about you, but I am such a reality TV fan I was hooked the minute I heard that Red Mist took us inside the Georgia Prison for Women. While crime reality TV may not be my 'big thing', I do get enough of it from my husband when my favorites are not on. so I was very interested to see what Cornwell could do with something many of us are now familiar with from reality TV. I don't think you will be disappointed. Cornwell will gain back fans who have disappeared and new ones will flock to her pages. This book rocks. I highly recommend it  - download it now and enjoy some reading during this hectic time of year!

Another exciting release release this week is The Angel Makers by Jessica Gregson. Based on a true story, The Angel Makers relates the events that take place in a small Hungarian village after the village's barbarous men depart for the first World War. The women enjoy the time away from the day to day day demands of the men, but eventually the men returned - many more brutish than before. I do not want to give away any spoilers, but desperate women take desperate measures...you must read this book to discover what binds women together. It is the type of book that leads you to question the men around you, the limits to which they can be pushed, the relationships you have with the women in your 'village'.

Several other heavy hitters have new releases this week, let's take a look. Even Al Roker has a book for all you Today Show fans, The Talk Show Murders.

A sample of new fiction for the week:

The Angel Makers by Jessica Gregson
The Artist of Disappearance by Anita Desai
Collateral Damage by Terrell Griffin
Death Comes to Pemberly by P.D. James
Egypt by Nick Drake
The Forgotten Affairs of Youth by Alexander McCall Smith
I Am Gold by Bill James
Murder in Mount Holly by Paul Theroux
Murder Season by Robert Ellis
Mr. Kill by Martin Limon
Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell
Slash and Burn by Colin Cotterill
Soft Target by Stephen Hunter
Storm Damage by Ed Kovacs
Supervolcano by Harry Turtledove
The Talk Show Murders by Al Roker
The Thirteen Hallows by Michael Scott
Vigilante by Stephen Cannell

No comments:

Post a Comment