Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day, Friday Reads, and more

First, a very happy an well meant Veterans Day to anyone who has served, or is still serving, in our armed forces. This is such an important day and I do not know why schools do not focus on it more. My husband just retired from 24 years of service in the Navy so it is one of my 'soap box' issues! When we lived in Virginia Beach, and in other big armed forces areas there were parades and a big deal was made  about the brave men and women who served America. Now that we live in a small village in southern Appalachia it is not such a big deal here. Very sad. But now I am here, the queen of causes, and maybe we can do something at the schools next year to make sure our brave heroes are honored!

Today is Friday. So, I hope everyone in going to facebook or twitter and making their Friday reads known. For facebook fans you only have to like the Friday reads page and then comment on what you are reading. For twitter users, use the hashtag #fridayreads.

When we are in schools with my so called kindle life kares it is amazing how many kids have smartphones. (Although my kids do so I guess I should not be all that shocked). My newest idea is to get these kids to go on to twitter and facebook and list what they are reading for their Friday reads. One of the greatest things about Friday reads is that you get to see what everyone else is reading and get new book ideas. These kids are reading some amazing books. Not all thanks to my so called kindle life kares, but we have taken boxes of books to all of the local schools we are serving now and they are reading some petty exciting and up to date stuff. We know they read the classics in class, ( or they are supposed to), so we are bringing in the types of books that appear to really get kids hooked on reading. Some of our best successes are series in YA. Of course, the Hunger Games, but there are so many more YA series. If any of  our readers have excellent suggestions for us to take into the schools please let us know. So far, we have not dealt with any banning type issues. These schools are just so happy to receive books they don't care! They want their kids to read but don't have the funding to give kids individual books. As readers, we all know what it means to have our own books, whether it be a kindle or a paper book.

So, what I am I reading this Friday for my Friday Read? I downloaded the new Edna Buchanan, A Dark and Lonely Place from amazon for my Kindle and started it earlier in the week. With my crazy schedule this week I did not get to read the normal amount of books I like to go through and am still on this one. However, thanks to all you readers who suggested Edna Buchanan. I cannot believe I never read her before but am glad to start with this one!

And what are your Friday reads?
Get out there and list them so we can all get some great reading ideas. Post some here, too, for our readers...easier to find than plying through the long fridayreads lists.

And....as always, we end with a plea for donations for my so called kindle life kares. If you have been around a while you know what we do, if not read around or feel free to email and ask. Even $1 helps in ways you would not believe. And, if you hit this page from twitter please retweet so all of your friends will have the chance to read about the work we do, and then their friends can retweet, etc....it can be a retweeting revolution for the kids of the southern Apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment