Saturday, January 28, 2012

We Are Back with A Walk Across the Sun

Sorry to all of you for the unexpected break. Shall we call it a medical vacation? But we are back online, and back in the schools with My So Call Kindle Life Kares helping the children of the Cumberland Plateau in any way we can.

During my break I read a book that fascinated me, A Walk Across the Sun. Most books we review are advanced reader copies sent to us to review on this blog. This book sounded so interesting I purchased it on my own and was glued to the pages....

Corban Addison, the author of A Walk Across the Sun, tells the story of how this amazing book came to be in an interesting article on the Huff Post. This article is definitely worth a read, even before you read the book, just to understand how he came to write the book and the daunting numbers that reflect the sex trading business.

Yes, A Walk Across the Sun sounds like a beautiful love story, possibly a title by Nicholas Sparks, and it does include a subplot of a love story, but the main issue of the novel is sex trafficking in India, Europe, Eastern Europe, and America.

The book is so well researched that you forget at times that you are reading fiction. Addison has used the format of a novel to tell the world about a problem that many of us are totally unaware of - or at least do not think about on a day to basis.

The truth of the book hits home. You will never feel the same after reading about brutal sex traders, pimps, minor children forced into a life of prostitution, drugs, and so much more. You will cheer for the many NGO workers who personally put their life on the line to help rescue these young girls.

This is a book to download to your kindle now. It is book to buy at your local bookstore. It is for book clubs to talk about. After reading the book I sat down and talked to my 13 year  old daughter about the book and the problems that exists. I am so sad that it is not something we can bring to the schools to discuss with other young girls, especially when I now recognize the problem exists in America. But, just look how hard it is for school officials to let teachers discuss homosexuality or bullying or even safe sex.

However, I am interested in finding out how we can help. So far, all of the money donated to My So Called Kindle Life Kares has gone to the local schools and reading programs, buying kindles for the classrooms and books. I have shared this book with others who help and we are reading the suggested literature at the end of the novel and trying to come up with a way to use some of our funds to help with this horrible issue.

I can tell you that once you read the book it will be with you always. Just this morning, taking a shower, I was so thankful that I had the ability to do so and that my children were with me. It is a powerful issue and I do hope you will read this book. I think it is one book that will really make a difference in your life this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment